- Make sure all materials will burn quickly and are dry to limit smoke
- Keep the bonfire small to restrict burning time
- Check weather conditions to ensure the smoke does not blow directly into neighbouring properties
- Avoid burning at weekends and bank holidays when people may be out in their gardens
- Check for small animals before lighting
- Burn only organic material produced on site.
- Compost as much as possible
- Consider taking material to be recycled instead.
- Burn all diseased material.
- Start a bonfire with petrol etc.
- Leave a bonfire unattended.
- Light a fire when air quality is poor